Total Topics: 7518
Most Online Today: 202
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Author Topic: Shipping Charges  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
Shipping Charges
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:15:22 pm »
I suggested a change relating to shipping cost vs. qty. ordered a while back and that was implemented in the latest version, thanks!

Now I see another issue. Maybe I am just not seeing something but let me paint a scenario for you.

I am trying to offer apparel (T-Shirts for example) for sale in my club store. I have only one shirt for sale right now but have 4 items defined in the store for it. Members have the option of having the shirts shipped or pickup only. The difference being shipped incurs a shipping charge. I also have Small - Xlarge at one price, and 2X - 5X at a slightly higher price, hence the 4 options for the same shirt.

I'll stop right there for just a sec. and solicit feedback if anyone knows of a better way to do this...

Continuing on...I have used custom fields to allow buyers to specify the size they want (within those 2 ranges - so for the Small - Xlarge item the drop down options are Small, Medium, Large, XLarge) and the color (White or Ash Gray) again in a drop down (see pic below). Most have been doing the pickup only option to save on shipping and plan to just get their order at upcoming club events, but I had a member use the Shipped option the other day and here is what happened.

They selected the Small - Xlarge item with qty 1 Shipped in size Medium. Then...
They selected the Small - Xlarge item with qty 1 Shipped in size Xlarge.

I have both of these setup to require shipping charge, so it tacks on the shipping cost of $5.00 for each line item to the order for a total of $10.00 shipping (see below). However, I am only wanting to charge shipping of $5.00 for up to 2 shirts (based on weight, etc.) and then additional $5.00 for every two shirts after that on the same order. As it is now, I am going to have to issue a refund for anyone who orders with the Shipped option and gets multiple shirts. Is there anyway I can setup the store to do what I need it too?

I was thinking one solution to this would be to have a setup option that allows a flat shipping charge for a an order, not at the item level. If this was enabled, it would override the shipping cost specified for the item and just charge the flat fee for the entire order. To make this really work however, the option could have a max. qty. associated with it. In other words, if the flat shipping charge was set in the setup to be $5.00, you could specify the max. number of line items on an order that would apply that charge. So, in my case, if I set it to 2, then orders with up to two items would be charged $5.00. After that, say if the order had 5 items in it, then it would be applied 3 times for a flat shipping charge of $15.00.  I hope this makes sense and I've explained this correctly...

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Charges
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:26:58 pm »
Added a basic shipping condition system. That allows you to compute the shipping cost base on the total order. Such as charge a flat amount or  a total percent. Also allows you to do basic ranges for shipping as well.

Version 1.2.5
+Added Shipping price condition system

Example

A couple examples:
Total Order Value1: 0  Total Order  Value2: 100.00

This would use the shipping factor to be applied to any purchases between $0 and $100 in total.

If you wanted to purchases above $100 you would do
A total order Value 1: of 100.01  and value 2 a high number such as 9999
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:09:42 am »
Excellent! You rock. Thanks I'll try this out right away.

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:56:17 am »
Just installed the update. Looks good except for one thing. The new Shipping Conditions once you have 1 or more conditions defined seem to apply to EVERY item, not just those that have Requires Shipping checked. For this to work, I think it needs to only do this for items that are flagged as needing shipping, because as it stands now, those items that people order for pickup only will still get charged shipping based on the new Shipping Conditions when they shouldn't be charged shipping at all, unless I have setup something wrong. I've included a couple of screen shots to illustrate. The first is the conditions I defined. The second is the cart showing items (all are pickup only and don't have the Requires Shipping box checked).

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
Been a month so I thought I would ask if my previous post made sense and if this could be changed in the next release to work that way.

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:26:49 pm »
Any ideas on this?

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:43:00 am »
Started work on SMF Store 1.3 I will look into this for that release.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:13:59 pm »
Started work on SMF Store 1.3 I will look into this for that release.

Thanks much! If you need more details when you go to work on it, please let me know I'll be happy to help get it working.

Offline Ghostwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »
So if I download the newset version 1.2.5 it will have this fixed?

Nevermind, I downloaded it and I think it is fixed!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:57:28 pm by Ghostwalker »

Offline Skyview

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:19:21 am »
So if I download the newset version 1.2.5 it will have this fixed?

Nevermind, I downloaded it and I think it is fixed!!

changes were made to address this, but it still needs a bit of work to completely/fully implement (see my comments in reply #3 above) that hasn't been implemented yet but hacks says are in plan for the next release.