Total Topics: 7523
Most Online Today: 236
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Author Topic: Paypal checkout  (Read 10433 times)

Offline Vincent Volmer

• SMF 2.0.17
    • View Profile
    • Digiscrap.nl
Paypal checkout
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:58 am »
Hello,

I know this is discussed somewhere before in the forum but I cant find a clear explanation.

On the checkout of Paypal there's no Item name. Only the text from $txt['store_txt_checkout'] (in my case 'Kopen') which is also used for the checkout button in the Store and the text on the next line: Objectnr.checkout:

I think something isn't working correct.... why is this displayed like this?

Thanks for any answer,
Vincent

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal checkout
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:52:33 pm »
This is because we are not passing the item information to paypal just the total price.

Which allows more options such as in the future supporting other payment processors.  Before we used to pass the product information but paypal has limits on the number of items passed which could cause some orders to be lost. In addtion paypal only supports two custom fields which also caused information.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Vincent Volmer

• SMF 2.0.17
    • View Profile
    • Digiscrap.nl
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
Okay, clear!
Thanks for the explanation.

I changed the name of the button and now it looks good (enough).

Vincent

Offline Vincent Volmer

• SMF 2.0.17
    • View Profile
    • Digiscrap.nl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:47:32 am »
Just an other idea:

When using an Alternate PayPal payment address for payments, on the paypal checkout there appears the item description which is very nice!!;

When using the default paypal e-mailadress, without using the shoppingcard, there appears the checkout text: $txt['store_txt_checkout'] at the paypal checkout. Which is the same if using the shoppingcard;

Could it be possible, if using the store with default paypal address but without the shoppingcard, to use the description of the item instead of the checkout text?

Sorry for my bad English but I hope you understand what I'm trying to suggest  :-\

Thanks,

Vincent

Offline Bar Nuthin

• View Profile
    • The Freedom Riders Chapter 2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:04:56 pm »
i have to bump this thread - i think i created the same topic earlier, but this one will do

I have been forced to stick with version 1.3beta1 because of this - and i would really like to upgrade to the latest version and have some feature requests that would easy to implement and add huge value to this program

i consider myself a POWER USER of this mod and I couldn't imagine running my stores without it

But by not having the Item Description in the PayPal transaction makes the program completely unusable in my situation

I have hundreds of transactions each month.  at two or three times a month i have scammers who reverse their paypal payment

in order to win a decision in these disputes, i must provide "proof of delivery"

since all of my items are digital downloads, the only "proof" i can provide is screenshots of the transaction and download from smf store

if the paypal transaction does not reference a specific product, i might as well send them pictures of my nuts.

also, since my online business has grown so much - i depend on PaypPal reports for my book keeping and tax information

without any transaction detail in PayPal, the data is next to useless - see screenshot 1.3.5a.jpg

obviously PayPal can still accommodate this information as shown in the screenshot 1.3beta1.jpg

is there any way this can be remedied?  i still do not understand your explanation as to why this change was necessary.

if you feel it is still necessary, could you please explain in greater detail?   would it be possible to pay you for a custom solution - perhaps some instruction on how to edit the proper php

sorry if this sounds like a rant, but this is killing me - plus it moots some great ideas i have because i won't be able to upgrade to take advantage of them

thanks for giving this topic some additional consideration

Bar

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:41:53 pm »
Looked at the code I can add an option to include the product titles instead of the checkout text.

The issue comes into play when you have many many items that exceeds the limits for paypal fields. Which is why the system was rewritten to pass just the cart id instead of all the product information and for better support with other payment systems
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Offline Bar Nuthin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:31 pm »
excellent news!!

perhaps you could set it to limit the max characters - if that would help

i've had maybe two or three dropped transactions out of thousands, so for me at least - the concern is minimal

since my forum is dedicated solely to support the store - my customers have easy access to me to remedy any problem transactions

i look forward to the release of this feature and will be sure to kick in another donation for your prompt attention

thanks!!

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 06:10:35 pm »
Added for next update 1.3.6
+Now sends the product name to paypal for shopping cart items up to 127 characters for all items in the cart total.

Offline Bar Nuthin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »
thank you sir

how hard to sneak in one last update?

at the bottom of product descriptions where it has admin links  [Print Item] [Edit] [Edit Files and Pictures] [Delete] [Hide Product]

add [Give Free Product to User] and take you to give product page with item already selected

i sell hundreds of items via alternate payment method and have to add the products to their accounts using the "Give Free" function - searching the drop down with hundreds of products can be difficult when busy

Thanks again for great service and a great product for SMF users.

I will be making a nice donation upon the successful release of 1.3.6  ;)

Offline Vincent Volmer

• SMF 2.0.17
    • View Profile
    • Digiscrap.nl
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:14:50 am »
Added for next update 1.3.6
+Now sends the product name to paypal for shopping cart items up to 127 characters for all items in the cart total.

;D :D great!!

Thank you for your great work!

Vincent

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »
thank you sir

at the bottom of product descriptions where it has admin links  [Print Item] [Edit] [Edit Files and Pictures] [Delete] [Hide Product]

add [Give Free Product to User] and take you to give product page with item already selected

i sell hundreds of items via alternate payment method and have to add the products to their accounts using the "Give Free" function - searching the drop down with hundreds of products can be difficult when busy

Added to 1.3.6

Offline Bar Nuthin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »
thank you sir

Added to 1.3.6

Marry Me?

You would not believe how much this last feature has improved my store from an admin point of view - and thank you for all previous upgrades as well - glad i can finally put them to use.

where do i find the changelog post at?

thx,
Bar

ps - check your paypal :)

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 07:48:01 pm »
Thanks
Check out the download topic of SMF Store I put what has changed in this update on this page here
http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,825.75.html