Total Topics: 7523
Most Online Today: 241
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Author Topic: almost done with forum, few questions  (Read 3925 times)

Offline G1

• View Profile
almost done with forum, few questions
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:17:46 am »
havent really tinkered with permissions and functions of classifieds. i understand basic ezportal without any html or php coding but im ok with it and gonna study it before i upload everything.

*what is a prettyurl and what does it do? i keep installing it and have no idea of it's purpose lol
*how do i let the classifieds listing page pop up as my default page, and not the free listing forum i created
* is it possible to limit list of topics and subtopics in a forum? or have them display side by side in ezportal without any tough coding?
* is it ok to install the smfshop with some subs.php errors with 2.0rc4?

im planning to buy adseller pro and all the remove copyright fees once im done with all this.
* does ad seller pro give me an easy way of putting tons of adds wherever i want in my whole site?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:20:14 am by ggman »

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: almost done with forum, few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »
*what is a prettyurl and what does it do? i keep installing it and have no idea of it's purpose lol
Pretty urls changes the urls for board urls and topics. So instead of http://www.site.com/index.php?board=1 it would be http://www.site.com/myboardnamehere/
And the same for topics
Pretty urls can be downloaded from
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=636

*how do i let the classifieds listing page pop up as my default page, and not the free listing forum i created
That would take some custom coding to do that. Would you want to use the forum at all or just have the classifieds

* is it possible to limit list of topics and subtopics in a forum? or have them display side by side in ezportal without any tough coding?
Well you could set the number of topics per page I belive for all forums if you want so many topics to appear at a time that should be in inside the topics and post settings in SMF

* is it ok to install the smfshop with some subs.php errors with 2.0rc4?
Have to look at that error that you posted to see if it is safe to continue with the install or if that is a required edit that needs to be made.

does ad seller pro give me an easy way of putting tons of adds wherever i want in my whole site?
It is mainly built for SMF forum itself. But I have had users use it on their site/non smf pages using either php or an iframe with the ad code.

Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline G1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:29 pm »
*    16.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test failed
      1.    Add Before    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test failed
thats the error from smfshop im trying to install. using 2.0rc4 atm with very basic compatible themes from smf themes

* ill try to see the topics permissions for the listing, i see a ton of topics listed and it looks bad

*[/quote]
That would take some custom coding to do that. Would you want to use the forum at all or just have the classifieds
now this is something i had been confused with yesterday(took the whole day and nite creating topics and subtopics lol)
now that i have a forum with the topics i want, i see i can link it to classifieds but i want only the classifieds to show on the front page and
the category just as a section people can click and go into. do you have any idea how i can do this? i dont really need the whole customized page that needs coding, just to rearrange stuff.

Offline G1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
yeah decided to scale it down to only auctions privileges now for a fixed annual fee and just the forums to be a public classifieds listing which is for free and paid members, i find its easier just to have a different section for new topics BELOW the classifieds.

im trying to make the forum concept into a public listing and the classifieds program to act as a PURE auction feature.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:24:42 am »
I see so forums for free listings. Classifieds for paid listings/auctions.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline G1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:10:34 pm »
yes, im finally getting to understand it. just finished and wanna ask what to do with my currency which is not listed.
also resizing pics and make them appear in the recent listing as thumbs. nothing seems to appear so far.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:12:20 pm by ggman »