Total Topics: 7516
Most Online Today: 126
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Author Topic: Custom Fields in Gallery  (Read 12001 times)

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
Custom Fields in Gallery
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:48 am »
The Custom Fields feature, and ability to search them specifically, is awesome.

I am hoping someone could develop a way for the Administrator to "Define" what goes in the Custom Fields....in other words, set predefined options the users can select from when they are uploading pictures and completing custom fields.

Hierarchy....
Name the Custom Field
Define selectable entries for the custom fields
Define whether the user can select single item or multiple items from the predefined list...or free form entry.

Again, I think the search "custom fields feature" is very useful. However, having predefined criteria for the custom fields is equally important due to the fact varying users  may use differing vernacular or slightly different wording, incorrect spelling, etc...

Here is an example I was able to build in Excel...I am not sure if you can open this attachment. I will note the multi-select list isn't working perfectly. I don't know anything about visual basic programming or any other type of coding....just learning as I go.

Thanks

Bill
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:49:32 pm by bknapp »

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
Re: Custom Fields in Gallery
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:06:47 pm »
As I continue to define the desired end result, I think a very close illustration of this in action would be a site like Home Depot.

When you type "Lights" in the search field, there are numerous results. However, the left side of the page has several category options you can select from to filter the results further.

Maybe a filtering process is a more accurate description.

Unfortunately I have no background in this type of thing and have absolutely no idea what is possible and the level of work involved. I do appreciate the work and effort!!!!

Thanks again!

Bill

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:53 pm »
Just checking in to see if this is something that might be manageable? Or if I need to start thinking about a different approach?

Thanks again,

Bill

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
At the moment no busy with some other projects.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:28:01 pm »
Still hoping to find a solution so the gallery can be filtered to find pictures reflecting certain criteria.

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:47:48 pm »
Has anyone had time to consider this? Members of our forum have posted many pictures and it would be nice to filter for specific criteria as entered in the "Custom Fields" when photos are uploaded.

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:41:23 am »
Still hoping someone has ideas for labeling and filtering photos in a gallery in order to simplify and improve the usability of the "Search" feature.

Ideally, looking to have the Administrator pre-define the options available in the gallery "Custom" fields, so when someone is uploading a photo they can select the appropriate options - thus everyone will be working with the same wording/description. Then, when searching or sorting, there is a "standard" wording. Hopefully the attachment helps illustrate the area I am referencing.

If members are able to select from these 'predefined' custom fields when uploading a photo, then the ability to search these same "predefined" fields would result in much better results. Even better, would be the ability to Sort/Filter based on these predefined items. Again, the concept is similar to a site like Home Depot...You get into the Lighting area...then you can choose from Color, size, style, brand, price, etc...  Obviously it can be done, I just have no idea on the scope of work it would require.

Effectively I would like to have the ability to do the same thing with the gallery photos.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:58:46 pm »
So you are looking for a predefined lists of default values for custom fields?

Right now you can make a field a global field and search for it the search system. Or there is also the image tagging system where a user could click on an keyword to pull up a list of other pictures that have the same tags.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline bknapp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:07 pm »
So you are looking for a predefined lists of default values for custom fields?

Right now you can make a field a global field and search for it the search system. Or there is also the image tagging system where a user could click on an keyword to pull up a list of other pictures that have the same tags.

Yes, a predefined list for the custom fields would be ideal. Then having the ability to select which of those fields you want to sort/filter from. Were you able to see my Home Depot screenshot?...I do not see it as an attachment, which I assume is due to my limited postings.

The problem with keywords and custom fields (as they are) is, the wording each User uses will not be identical and, with keywords, the list soon becomes endless and searches yield varying results. By allowing the Admin to define the selections in the Custom Fields, the Tags or Keywords are now common among all users and will yield consistent search results. It is very hard to explain in general terms what I am seeking, but the Home Depot thing really seems to encompass my hope. I could provide examples Specific to the site I am using if that would be helpful.

Thanks.