Total Topics: 7518
Most Online Today: 201
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Author Topic: Image ordering & combining main/user categories  (Read 6630 times)

Offline Scy

• View Profile
Image ordering & combining main/user categories
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:14 am »
I have a few improvement suggestions to the versions to become of excellent SMF Gallery Pro:

1. Image ordering
Now it seems that every category orders images descending by their age. I think there should be an option when creating and editing main category (as well as wen user creates/edit user gategory) to choose by which method images are listed in invidual category.

There could be a simply pulldown menu where there would be options like:
1. Descending by age
2. Ascending by age
3. Alphabetically by name
4. By per image order

If last option is selected category owner / admin could see [move to next] [move to previous] links under every picture in category view and could freely reorder the pictures.

<i>Reason: I have a comic art gallery where there are different kinds of artists and they maybe would like to specify in which order their pages are shown.</i>

2. Option for combined main and user categories

..or simply combaining them as suggested as follows:

It seems that when user is creating a gallery of their own, this new gallery (or let's just talk about user category) doesn't get very much visibility, because it's pictures or it itself isn't listed in any of the main categories.

In my case, when I'm planning to host a art gallery, most of the user gallery categories are including a certain work including many pages of a comic book etc. In this case it would be very convenient if user gategories itself could be selected to be part of some of the main categories, to simply to be listed under one of the main categories too.

I really could see the ultimate sollution that images could be uploaded only to user categories and when creating a category, user would had to choose one of the main categories for their own category. So main categories would be just an empty options and no pictures could be uploaded in them. Instead main categories would only list of certain kinds of user categories.

This option would simply remove the hazzle and inconvenient related to dual categorial system where common categories are different and user categories are different and user would have to post their work on both of the categories. I also saw an suggestion on this forum that suggested dual image posting for both of the category types but I really dislike the idea..

Of course, to serve all kinds of SMF gallery clients, there should be an option for that behaviour too in the setting, where could be options like:

O List main and user categories seperately (like now)
O Combine the categories (pictures only in user categories)

And feature selections like:
[  ] Require users to choose a main category for their own categories, where user's own categories are listed just like images
[  ] Require users to choose a main category (in addition of their own category) for their pictures, which makes pictures appear in both categories

I think this would serve the most of the gallery maintainers when they could choose the appearance of user categories and pictures they contain in main categories.

What do you think, could this be implemented with some kind of modification too, partly or wholy, if not added in the future versions?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:14:03 am by Scy »

Offline Scy

• View Profile
Re: Image ordering & combining main/user categories
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:06:45 am »
Oh yeah and one more, that supposly is already suggested, but anyways:

It would be nice that admin could define an age limit to some kind of categories (like K18) where only adults could have access and minors have an notification that states "You're not allowed to access this category, because it contains K18 material" etc.

Offline ZipCrash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:19:29 pm »
Yea I just bought Pro and I have to say this is the one feature that I'm kinda bummed isn't there. Seems like it should have been implemented awhile ago.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:39:37 pm »
Reordering of images is planned for a future version of the Gallery might make into 1.3.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline ZipCrash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 02:30:04 pm »
yay! I'd love to be able to sort by rating too. ;)

Offline Scy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:10:38 am »
I still have got a lot of feedback because double category system is not very convenient. Some of the gallery users doesn't even know that they're also users own galleries which makes users to post their pictures both: their own as well as the public categories.

Could there be an option that user's own galleries could be included somehow into public galleries so that user could choose into which public category their own category would be listed in. And they would be listed just as pictures (same order, same space).

Also rating and commenting for the own categories itself would be neat. This would give users an option to post whole portfolios (works consisting of several pictures) as single work instead of lots of seperate pictures.