Total Topics: 7518
Most Online Today: 297
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 251
Total: 251

Author Topic: Downloads vs. Downloads Pro  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Senkusha

• View Profile
    • Ayeka's Bliss: Anime Galaxy Network
Downloads vs. Downloads Pro
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:51:43 am »
Hi,

I've been using Downloads System for a while now, and I think it's great.  I recently inquired about some features to be added that are currently avialable in the Pro version (subtracting "points" for downloads, etc)  But, I'd like to know if a few issues have been corrected in the Pro version that don't seem to work in the non-Pro version.

1.  Does the sub-categories on the main category page list in alphabetical order?
2.  When adding a new download, the list of the Categories is... unorganized.  I'd love to see something like:
     Main Category
     -- Sub Category 1
     -- Sub Category 2
     -- -- Sub Sub Category 1
     -- -- Sub Sub Category 2
     -- Sub Category 3
     Another Category
(all alaphabetized would be awesome!)
3.  The numerical counts on the main category page includes all the sub categories.

4.  As an admin, I'd like to be able to set the member via a drop down box (listing real_name).

5.  I'd love for the downloads to be sorted properly if there are more than one page.  Right now, I have a work-around where I've set the number of downloads insanely high (like 100).  If I don't do this, page 2 doesn't continue to list the unseen downloads from page 1, it like lists the same downloads out of order.

One feature I would absolutely adore would be like a URL browser.  Right now, I have some members that upload files to my server via FTP.  I would love the ability to just browse to a set directory tree on my server to add the URL (and generate the file size -- I have a script snippet that I use to do this manually).  I'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is, I would love to see it.

I think that's all I've got.  Great product, just a little tweaking -- perhaps some of these issues have been fixed in a subsequent release of the basic Downloads System.  I would feel better about spending the cash for the Pro version knowing that these issues aren't... issues. :)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:56:48 am by Senkusha »
--Senkusha
Visit my anime writing community

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Downloads vs. Downloads Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:31 pm »
1.  Does the sub-categories on the main category page list in alphabetical order?
No it is by subcategory order which controls the order in which they appear.

2.  When adding a new download, the list of the Categories is... unorganized.  I'd love to see something like:
Good idea can add it to the next update

3. The numerical counts on the main category page includes all the sub categories.
Currently there is an option for one level deep counting. I could allow more but it does take more resources. I did it this way since SMF did the same at only one level deep.

4.  As an admin, I'd like to be able to set the member via a drop down box (listing real_name).
If you mean changing the owner of a listing there is a text field that you can enter a member name/ use find members name link to change the owner when you edit a download.

I'd love for the downloads to be sorted properly if there are more than one page.  Right now, I have a work-around where I've set the number of downloads insanely high (like 100).  If I don't do this, page 2 doesn't continue to list the unseen downloads from page 1, it like lists the same downloads out of order.
First time heard of this issue. I tried the sorting on our demo site found at
http://www.smfhacks.com/storedemo/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1
And appears to be sorting correctly when I sort a column.

One feature I would absolutely adore would be like a URL browser.  Right now, I have some members that upload files to my server via FTP.  I would love the ability to just browse to a set directory tree on my server to add the URL (and generate the file size -- I have a script snippet that I use to do this manually).  I'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is, I would love to see it.
There is an FTP option if you upload files to the ftp folder in the downloads folder. You can browser files and folders. Might add an option to allow you to specify any directory on the server.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Senkusha

• View Profile
    • Ayeka's Bliss: Anime Galaxy Network
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:00:50 am »
No it is by subcategory order which controls the order in which they appear.

I don't think this is the case.  On my board, it appears that the "mini-list" on the category page is listing the sub categories in the order in which they are added.  I have the sub categories ordered so they appear in alphabetical order when you click on a category, but on the main page, it is not reflecting this. 

3. The numerical counts on the main category page includes all the sub categories.
Currently there is an option for one level deep counting. I could allow more but it does take more resources. I did it this way since SMF did the same at only one level deep.

Is there a simple tweak in the code I can do to include all levels?

I'd love for the downloads to be sorted properly if there are more than one page.  Right now, I have a work-around where I've set the number of downloads insanely high (like 100).  If I don't do this, page 2 doesn't continue to list the unseen downloads from page 1, it like lists the same downloads out of order.
First time heard of this issue. I tried the sorting on our demo site found at
http://www.smfhacks.com/storedemo/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1
And appears to be sorting correctly when I sort a column.

I'm not selecting a sort column.  It's just the default.  Like I have the category set to sort by Title as default.  If I set my listing per page to 20, and I have 30 listing, number 21-30 don't show up, instead entries from the first page do when I click on page 2.

There is an FTP option if you upload files to the ftp folder in the downloads folder. You can browser files and folders. Might add an option to allow you to specify any directory on the server.

That's cool!  I didn't know it was there.  How do I use it -- just dump the files into the ftp directory....and then what?
--Senkusha
Visit my anime writing community

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:13:43 pm »
For the batch add currently you need to upload/copy files to the downloads/ftp folder then using batch add select which files you wish to import into a category of your choice
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/