Total Topics: 7523
Most Online Today: 236
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Author Topic: Ad rotation information  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
Ad rotation information
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:20:16 am »
If I place ads, say at the top and bottom of the forums, using "default" ad code, then people purchase ad space, does this purchased space rotate 50% with my already included default code or does the purchased banner run 100% of the time until impressions or time runs out?
If three people purchase ad space in the same location, does the modification rotate between all 4 per page view?

Basically, I am asking how the ads purchased in the same ad space rotate around and if purchased ad space has priority over any type of "default" managed ads in that location.
Thanks in advance.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ad rotation information
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:46 am »
Currently how it works it rotates randomly between all ad's that are set to that location. So if you have your own ads and someone buys an ad they will both be shown. The same applies if multiple people buy that ad location they are all thrown into the mix. If ad priority is needed let me know.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:24:01 am »
Well, I do not have great knowledge of how web site ads work and all, but based on my javascript page views and such, I would think that it would be good to have a sort of option like "do not display more then xyz impressions per 24 hours".
I am not sure what I am trying to get at but I will give it a shot:

One person purchases ads. 1000 impressions, no time limit.
The web site serves 2000 pages per day.
The ads run only that one day... (with the other 50% being filled by my default ad code).

What may be better for this one:
One person purchases ads. 1000 impressions, 10 days campaign run time.
Ads run max 100 impressions per day with the "default" (my ad) filling in the blanks for the campaign run time of 10 days.

Now another one...
Nine people purchase ads. 1000 impressions per day, no time limit.
The web site serves 1000 pages per day.
Each persons ads run 100 impressions per day, with 100 also on the default filling in the blanks.

Same one:
Nine people purchase ads. 1000 impressions per day, 10 day campaign run time.
The web site serves 1000 pages per day.
Each persons ads run 100 impressions per day, with 100 also on the default filling in the blanks. for 10 days.

If my math is correct... in this scenario, each example is the same... however, the first scenario with only one person purchasing is not.

As such, depending on "popularity" of an ad space, one single ad for 100,000 impressions for a flat rate, depending on traffic, could run for 1 hour or 1 month with no configuration on the buyers part. Without manually giving away "how many hits you should expect to get in one day/month, etc", buyers have no idea how long their particular ad will run based on pure impression based advertising.

See what I am getting at?

In the 100 impressions per day example, a "time slot" based on server time may be another option to give buyers... run a campaign for ten days, 100 impressions max, between 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM. Just a thought.

I thank you for your time.

Offline Vincent Volmer

• SMF 2.0.17
    • View Profile
    • Digiscrap.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:29:38 am »

In the 100 impressions per day example, a "time slot" based on server time may be another option to give buyers... run a campaign for ten days, 100 impressions max, between 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM. Just a thought.

That is something which would be a very nice future request! I'd never thought about what Black Viper describes in the previous message. Till now we only have some banners from our sponsors and only 1 payed for a period (October/December 2009) without looking at the impressions. It was about 100.000 impressions in 3 month...  :-\ (+/- 4000 pageviews/day).

I didn't have time to install this mod yet. I need to translate it first into Dutch language  ;)

Vincent

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
Basically, what I am trying to do is balance and offer a proper cost for product based on what my current income from goggle ads is.
I do not wish to lose any money, but in all honesty, I do not wish to gain any money based on purchased advertising, either... I just would like it to break even and have the income from Google ads fill in what purchased ads do not to keep a fairly stable bottom line.

However, if I offer impression based, it would be difficult to calculate a proper amount to charge if/when the amount of people fluctuate and impressions per day would vary with how many purchasers per month. I could average how much money I get with serving Google ads, base an impression calculation off of that, offer a product, say 100,000 for $x.yz and remain "even" in that respect... but it would be impossible to tell my ad space purchasers how long the ad will run or what kind of impressions they would expect without giving away my particular hit/traffic details, which fluctuate monthly.

Even worse, a time based ad would charge the first person (getting 50% ad impressions per month and needing to pay 50% of the ad space cost) much more then say, the ninth person (getting 10% impressions per month, but only needing to pay 10% of the cost).
I do not wish to "raise" or lower my prices for either while someone else's campaign is running, nor do I wish to offer "low priced" advertising and lose money from Google, which keeps the server on.

I hope I am clear as mud.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »
Need to clarify options that are being added

Option to limit the number of impressions shown per day.  Does the buyer control this for their ad? Or does the admin set the number of impressions per day in the package or location of the ad

Time based range for the advertiser/admin would be possible as well. We already have start date and end date and can add an option to include time as well.

Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »
Does the buyer control this for their ad? Or does the admin set the number of impressions per day in the package or location of the ad

Time based range for the advertiser/admin would be possible as well. We already have start date and end date and can add an option to include time as well.
Well, I am not sure, but if I had any choices, I would prefer the admin as well as the buyer control impressions per day (24 hours, or what ever).
If admin sets static amount (cap?), the buyer cannot (or only reduce it, not raise it). If admin "approves" or allows the buyer to set (set to 0 to disable admin cap), the buyer can set the option up to max impressions in a 24 hour period for the particular package and regardless of impressions, the expire time could be set by admin for, say, 30 days... so someone does not purchase 10,000 impressions, run 10 per day... on a 30 day plan. See what I mean?
Lots to juggle and think about. I appreciate your time.

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:01:31 pm »
After further consideration, if I had only one choice, I would prefer the admin be able to create a package that is, say 30,000 impressions with 1,000 per day max. This would give a timeline for purchasers as well as control income from a webmasters point of view. The default ad would run 50% of the time (assuming only one purchaser and my default ads) starting at 12:00 AM server time as fast as possible, up to the max allocated, then run the default for the remainder of time available.
I could also create a package that is pure impression based of 30,000 with no max per day (or configured for the buyer) for those that would prefer that option.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:13:15 pm »
Going with the choice in the above post. will require some testing on myside for a couple days to see how the logging goes

Offline Black Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:33:28 am »
Going with the choice in the above post. will require some testing on myside for a couple days to see how the logging goes
I believe a "start ad" time would probably be a good idea also, up until the max impressions for the 24 hour period. This is so ad impressions are not used up in the first hour of the day (12:01AM to 1:00AM), when an advertiser would prefer to start at peak time.

Offline cheers101

• View Profile
Re: Ad rotation information (priority rotation)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:46 pm »
Hi,
I need to set  priority ad  which takes priority over other ads-for example Google ds

In this discussion as an answer to black viper you said you can help with that if "If ad priority is needed let me know."