Total Topics: 7519
Most Online Today: 297
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 300
Total: 300

Author Topic: Comment Notification  (Read 10097 times)

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
Comment Notification
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:51:32 am »
It doesn't seem like there is, but is there a feature which notifies people of comments left on their photos? To me that would be the biggest user benefit of the pro version.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Comment Notification
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:00:06 pm »
Yes there is an option for each picture posted to notify the owner of the picture if a comment has been posted.

There is a checkbox the uploader can check "Notify me of comments"
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:55:02 pm »
Can that be set as a default setting by the forum admin?

Also, I assume there is no way for comments to appear as a recent post under the forum info center?

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
By default the checkbox is checked.  No setting to control it.

Comments for pictures do not appear under recent posts. I could add a mod to add another section under recent posts such as Recent Picture Comments.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:26:42 pm »
That sounds good.

Here is the thing. I run a photography forum (www.photographythailand.com/forum) and I used to have sections in the forum for posting images. Then when I put in SMF Gallery Lite a few months ago I disabled new images posts to the old image posting areas, although the old images are still there in those sections. As soon as I put SMF Gallery in, I saw the number of image posts drop dramatically.

I am sensing people liked getting the e-mail notifications when someone posted a comment on their image post in the forum, and since image posts were actually party of a message post, they showed up under the recent posts. This way everyone knew when there was a new image there to look at. Easy.

As it is now, you have to go into the gallery area itself to see if there are any new images and my feeling is that in itself is hindering the amount of people that are posting new images into the Gallery area at this point.

So if both new image posts and comments on images in the gallery were to show up under recent posts or in a separate section under recent posts, then I think the gallery would draw a lot more attention than it is getting now.

I have also had a lot of problems with people not seeing the link for adding a new picture or making comments on posted images since the links to do that are text based links which really don't look like links. If they were graphical buttons of some sort they would become more obvious and people would see them more clearly. Of course I have posted messages about how to post to the gallery, but not everyone reads those things.

Lastly, it would be great if there was a way for the forum admin to move existing message posts containing pictures into the gallery. That would be brilliant in fact. As it is now, and as I am sure you are aware, the admin can move message posts from one section of the forum to another. Is that were to integrate with the Gallery function that would be just brilliant and then I could pull all the old image posts for the last year into the new Gallery section without losing any images or comments. I am not sure though how a message conversion would be handled if it contained more than one image within a post as many of them in my Forum do.

To be honest, for me to spend $50 for the Pro version is a lot of money for me since the Forum is a completely free thing which does not receive any user donations or have any banner ads appearing. But I would more seriously consider the upgrade and possibly ask for member donations to buy it if I were able to add all of the increased functionality I mentioned above.

As it is now, the functionality of SMF Gallery Lite does not seem to be really serving my forum very well, I am just being quite honest here, and even the current Pro version does not add enough new functionality I feel to warrant the upgrade yet.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:30:26 pm by marcbkk »

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:33:34 pm »
Big post will take a while for me to go over in depth.

I have an option for gallery categories in the pro version for any image that is posted in the gallery it will also create a topic in the board selected for that category.

I have a recent picture mod in the pro forums that will display the recent pictures uploaded to the gallery under recent posts.
The gallery comments under the recent posts is something I can see making a mod as well for.

Image buttons I do not see me doing for two reasons  I do not have the skills to draw the buttons and  it would make the gallery harder to translate to other languages.

Conversion for board posts to gallery images would be really tricky. Depending on how the images are made to the post if they are attachments or links to images.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:45:11 pm by SMFHacks »

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:42:48 pm »
Thank you, understood and no worries. Just wanted to let you know what would make it work better for me and probably a number of other users. Best wishes. Marc
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:45:41 pm by marcbkk »

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:49:49 pm »
I am a big confused what the difference is between the option to create a topic in the board selected for that category and the mod that will display the recent pictures uploaded to the gallery under recent posts?

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »
They do two different things

Here is the recent picture example

Gallery categories in the Pro version have an option to select a board/forum to post a topic in.  When an image is added to that gallery category. It will then also create a topic/post in the forum that was selected.

Offline marcbkk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 12:39:51 am »
Thanks, but it seems like my brain is not quite working at the moment and I can't seem to make sense of this. Is there a test site where I could play with it to maybe get a better visual understanding?

Also, is there a way to change font color on the text links for adding a new picture, adding a comment, etc? I think if they were some bright green color people might recognize them as buttons better.