Total Topics: 7518
Most Online Today: 201
Most Online Ever: 2482
(April 09, 2011, 07:02:45 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Author Topic: Media Gallery vs. SMF Gallery Pro  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
Media Gallery vs. SMF Gallery Pro
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »
As it turns out, I have both Media Gallery and SMF Gallery Pro installed on my forum.  I have been under the impression that they were the same?  LOL  (I did not set up the forum and am very much of a novice)  Now my question would be since I have paid for the Gallery Pro, and recently paid for a license renewal, is there an advantage to using the Pro verion vs. the Media version?  Is there a way to switch things over from one to the other? 

Someone was kind enough to help me restore the settings for Media Gallery and now I have my photos back.

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Media Gallery vs. SMF Gallery Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »
They are two different softwares I would use both and see what works the best.
We do have a convertor from Avea Media found in this topic if you want to convert the data to Gallery Pro.
http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,2839.0.html
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Ken.

• SMF Gallery Pro Customer
  • TP Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:52 am »
Both are used on my Live Site too good advantage.

My 'main' gallery is Gallery Pro and we use it as a place for all of our members to post their pictures. The Media Gallery is used mostly by me and only as a place to post selected items that are linked into forum posts.

This would actually work more seamlessly if I purchased some of the Gallery Pro add-ons and removed the Media Gallery, but as a retiree on a budget that's not going to happen, so this is an excellent alternative. 

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »
Hey Ken, if I have both installed on my forum, why would I only see one gallery and not two?  LOL  How would I use both sise by side?

Offline SMFHacks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:45 pm »
You shoudl see both they both add a tab and a unique action.
Get your Forum Ranked! at https://www.forumrankings.net - find out how your forum compares with others!

Like What I do? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/

Offline Ken.

• TP Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
Hey Ken, if I have both installed on my forum, why would I only see one gallery and not two?  LOL  How would I use both sise by side?

You should see 'Gallery' for Gallery Pro and 'Media' for Media gallery.

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:52:21 am »
Nope!  I only have one button says Gallery.  When I enter the gallery at the bottom of the page I get this;

SMF Media Gallery 1.5 © SMF-Media.com   ?????????????????????????

I checked in admin/installed packages and found that both SMF Media and Gallery Pro are installed.  NOw I am confused.  If Gallery Pro is installed, why does it not show up?

Check it out.  lewportalumni.com
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:02:40 am by Uncle Don »

Offline Ken.

• TP Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:05:37 pm »
Don, your gallery page is not accessible by a guest, so that copyright entry is not showing for me, but the address is showing as; '..?action=mgallery' when the Gallery link is activated and that is the address extension for the SMF Media Gallery.

I have no idea about what your issue is, but it's generally better to get one mod working correctly before going to the next one. That would be especially so in this case with two gallery mods.

The version of media gallery that I'm using has an address using the word Media (?action=media) and my Gallery Pro is using Gallery (?action=gallery). In other words, two completely different button names and two different address strings.

It sounds like your version of media gallery may be trying to use the same names as gallery pro, so you may need to uninstall media gallery before gallery pro will work correctly.

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »
What would happen If I uninstall Media Gallery?  Will I lose all my albums?  What about comments, or members notes, etc.  How about the jpegs themselves?  I have a a very recent backup, however I am really nervous about losing all the work that has gone into it.  We literally have thousands of pics within perhaps 50 albums.

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »
Don, your gallery page is not accessible by a guest, so that copyright entry is not showing for me, but the address is showing as; '..?action=mgallery' when the Gallery link is activated and that is the address extension for the SMF Media Gallery.  I have allowed permission to view both the SMF Gallery and the SMF Media Gallery.  You should be able to see it  now.

I have no idea about what your issue is, The issue is that I would like to use SMF Gallery Pro, and presently I have the "button" set as Gallery and yet it activates SMF Media Gallery.

The version of media gallery that I'm using has an address using the word Media (?action=media) and my Gallery Pro is using Gallery (?action=gallery). In other words, two completely different button names and two different address strings.

It sounds like your version of media gallery may be trying to use the same names as gallery pro, so you may need to uninstall media gallery before gallery pro will work correctly.

Again, am I going to lose all my albums and data/jpegs?

Offline Ken.

• TP Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:55 pm »
Don, when I said, "I have no idea about what your issue is..." my meaning was that I don't know what is causing your issue.

When checking your site the 'Gallery' link shows as "?action=mgallery" and goes to the Media Gallery. If the link "?action=gallery" is entered into your browser address bar it will then take you to the SMF Gallery. So, it looks like the issue has to do with something that is breaking or corrupting your links and not the two galleries themselves.

As mentioned, I don't know why that is happening, so that's why I've not offered an opinion on how you should proceed.

Offline Uncle Don

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
Gotch.  Thanks Ken.  I am leary of doing the uninstall since I have never done a restore.  I can't afford to lose all my members albums.  That would be a tragedy.

Hopefully someone from SMF Hacks admin. will step up and help me out.